Skip to main content

Trojans March Down to South


Welcome back to Inside Troy Women’s Basketball.
The Trojans are coming off of a game where they beat the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns 90 to 64.
That margin of win difference marked two games in a row where the Trojans won by 22 or more points.
But the biggest standout from this game to me was Sky’Lynn Holmes.
She finished the game with 15 points, which is a good amount for her.
But where she shined was on the glass where she had 20 rebounds!
I remember hearing her name called a lot at work at WTBF, but I did not think at the time it was that much.
And this was a home game, so I really wish I could’ve been there to talk to Head Coach Chanda Rigby myself about that rebounding performance.
And looking forward to the South game tomorrow, I don’t think it’s going to take a game like this from Holmes for the Trojans to win.
Will Holmes put up 10 points and 10 rebounds?
Probably.
But what doesn’t happen every night is when the entire team has a good shooting night from three collectively.
Even in this last game, they only shot a little over 30 percent from three the entire game.
And they STILL won by 26.
The Trojans constantly get open and take good shots, but just don’t hit them.
And what is scary, is that this team is 5th in the nation in scoring, WITHOUT shooting a high percentage from 3.
Last post I mentioned that the team’s goal is to score 15 or more points every 5 minutes.
Equaling 30 points a quarter, or 60 points a half.
Which sounds crazy. But it’s honestly not that far off.
The Trojans score so many points because they get steals and rebounds, run in transition, and get easy buckets.
But if they hit their 3s, they could get close to that goal of 15 points every 5 minutes.
But do they have to do this to beat South?
No.
What the Trojans need to do in order to beat South tomorrow is keep doing what they’ve done all season.
Which is rebound, get steals, and play defense.
If they do that, which they have so far this season, the scoring will come naturally for them.
I will have another blog post shortly after the South game discussing the outcome, and talking about the upcoming matchup. This post will come sometime early next week.
As always, feel free to comment and let me know how I did and what you think I need to improve on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Softball

Basketball season is officially over, so now its time to move to softball. So far on the year the softball team is off to a hot start on the season as they sit 22-13 on the year so far and is currently on a four game winning streak. And a big part of that winning streak and the strong start to the season in general so far has been freshman Leanna Johnson . She is a pitcher from Brantley, Alabama and is currently 14-5 on the season. And out of the last four games played, Johnson has started three of them and has gotten the credit for the win in two of them. The second most recent win she earned was on the road at Coastal Carolina where the Trojans won 11-3. In that game she pitched all 6 innings for the Trojans and gave up 7 hits and 3 earned runs. In that same game she also had 8 strikeouts and only 1 walk. That game would spark the Trojans to go on and win the next two over Coastal Carolina and get the sweep just last weekend. But, then they would travel back home to st...

Be Efficient

In my last post, I highlighted the biggest reason why I thought the Trojans lost last night. But, despite the loss, the Trojans can bounce back. In order to bounce back though, the Trojans need to play smarter. Yes, they play defense   and they rebound. But that is only two of the three main components of basketball. They need to be better offensively. What I mean by this is that they need to be more efficient. Currently they are one of the top scoring teams in the country because they run the floor and get offensive rebounds. Which is good, but they need to be more efficient. Often times I’ll see them play at home or hear them on the radio and they are taking shots early into the shot clock or are taking the first good look that they find. And that is just a product of the system that head coach Chanda Rigby runs. And that system has worked for a couple of years now. But this system has been at its best when efficient. And this can be seen earlier this seas...